Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Meet Gustav


Personal Photo
Please excuse the shot glasses

For an ongoing class lab, we are each growing our own sunflowers in cups. These sunflowers will ultimately be transplanted into a community garden near campus because they are thought to remove lead from the soil. Since our community garden is located in an urban area, it possibly contains lead as a result of many years of vehicle pollution. 

I think Gustav (my sunflower) was a late bloomer and I thought I was going to have to  get another seed. When I left for a debate trip on February 19th, he still had not sprouted and just looked like an empty cup. I came home to this after the trip! 

I have been watering Gustav faithfully and leaving him where he can get some sunlight during the day. As of today, Gustav measures eighteen inches tall! 

No comments:

Post a Comment